Have you ever wondered what those yellow-colored mashed balls are on a restaurant menu card? Those are not potatoes, but dishes prepared with plantains. It is an African dish or one of their traditional dishes called African Mofongo. Traditionally, the roots of this dish are back from Puerto Rico. People there discovered this dish for the first time. The main ingredient they used was plantains. They then fried these and grounded them in a pestle and mortar.
African people used the same cooking method they used to cook the fufu dish. To prepare it, they boiled the plantains and then cooked them. Whereas, for this dish, they preferred the frying technique to boiling these plantains.
When you compare the plantains and bananas, you will observe that although they look alike, they are different. These are not too sweet and contain lots of starch content. You can cook these with any technique.
In short, people prefer to cook these before eating them. Generally, you won’t feel nice eating these raw. You won’t believe it, but its consumption will make you healthy. Raw plantains appear like bananas, while cooked ones have nutrients similar to potatoes. It contains high fibrous content.
They mostly grow in the African continent. They are available at very cheap rates. People harvest these throughout the year. As their growth is not limited to seasons.
Recipe for African Mofongo
Ingredients for Mofongo
- Green plantains 2-3
- Garlic thoroughly chopped one teaspoon
- The stock of chicken 2 cups
- Butter 1 tablespoon
- Parsley, a small bunch
- Hot sauce
Steps for chicken stock
- Firstly, you will take a big pot and heat it with oil
- Then, place the chicken in it
- Sauté the chicken
- Then, add chopped garlic and half of the onion slices with the chicken once it is brown
- Afterward, add water to the pot
- Sprinkles oregano leaves in it
- You will have to boil it for at least an hour or two
- Sprinkle some salt in it
- Your chicken broth is ready
Ingredients for chicken broth
- Chicken with bones ½ kg
- Oil 2 tablespoon
- Crushed garlic cloves one tablespoon
- Onion 1
- Water 5 glasses
- Oregano leaves ¼ teaspoon
Steps for Mofongo
- Firstly, slice the green plantains into smaller chunks
- Take a heated pan and fry these plantains in the oil
- After their color has changed to golden, transfer these to a plate
- Now, in a small bowl, add chopped garlic with the slices of fried plantains
- Using a mortar or a chopper, mash these into a smooth paste
- Once your pasta is ready, turn the bowl upside down to take out the mixture
- Afterward, you can make the mixture into balls, etc
- Also, you can sprinkle parsley leaves on it
- Now, in chicken broth, which you have cooked earlier in a bowl
- Add this Mofongo into the broth
- Enjoy your dish dipped in a delicious broth
Further, you can have it with a combination of shrimp or rice with broth. Also, make African Mofongo more flavorful with the addition of Dingolay hot sauce. The sweet and spicy hot flavors of the sauce will complement the taste of this dish. You can even have it with garlic sauce.
Sauce of shrimps
To maintain this dish’s flavor, you can make a sauce from the shrimp. So, you will cook and fry the shrimp in a pan. After that, put these aside. In another pan, take heated oil. Now, add onion, tomato puree, paprika, and garlic paste. Then, sauté it with light spices. Afterward, add a little water to the pan. When it boils, turn the heat low and then simmer the sauce to get the right thickness. Your sauce is ready.
You can make garlic sauce or tomato sauce with this dish.
Dingolay Hot sauce
If you are searching for a sauce that tastes sweeter and spicier. Then, don’t miss the Dingolay hot sauce. This sauce is prepared to make your dishes extra flavorsome. Whatever food you want to have, just add this hot sauce. It will give your dish magical flavors you can’t even predict. Therefore, this brand has used Jamaican scotch bonnet peppers to prepare this sauce. They have produced fruit-flavored sauces with pineapple tropical gourmet sauce and mango tropical gourmet sauce. The third one is the original gourmet hot sauce.
Benefits of this dish
In short, with the addition of this dish to your diet, you can gain splendor benefits to your health. You will intake vitamins and carbohydrates. It is great for your digestion process to work smoothly. It will regulate your cholesterol. You can fulfill the demand for vitamin C by eating this dish. It will also make your immunity stronger. The nutrients in this dish will discourage the production of tumorous cells. The high potassium will be good for your heart to work well. Your blood pressure is maintained.
You can give your friends and families a treat of homemade African Mofongo dish at parties and dinners. Your guests will love the taste and unique texture of the dish. Following the shared recipe will allow you to cook this dish perfectly. The procedure is simple to follow with fewer ingredients.