Internet marketing can be a daunting task even for seasoned professionals, let alone aspiring entrepreneurs. Therefore, one of the main questions that interests customers is “Which way to promote a business to choose – SEO or SMM?”. To determine which of the above Internet marketing tools is the most effective, you need to understand their features, similarities and differences. You can get in touch with Best Social Media Marketing Agency in London
What is SMM?
SMM Social Media Marketing is a tool for promoting a business through social media channels. Its main task is not to sell goods or services directly. But to attract the attention of the target audience and stir up interest in the product. To do this, a community is created around the brand. In which constant communication with a potential client takes place. Targeted advertising is set up and a content plan is developed.
Advantages of SMM:
- Quick responses and feedback (reactions to articles, news and posts). Thanks to this, you can quickly adjust the SMM promotion strategy, taking into account the interests and wishes of the audience.
- Social networks allow you to select the target audience with a high degree of accuracy.
- You can attract more users with the help of an advertising contact. Which costs much less than context, advertising on TV and in the press.
- The ability to attract target audience from any countries and regions, increasing coverage without reducing conversion.
- SMM indirectly affects the ranking of the site due to social signals (reposts, discussions, likes, sharing), attracting traffic from social networks and links. The latter, although not indexed by search engine robots, are still counted as a plus to the usefulness of the resource.
Disadvantages of SMM:
- Without constant work there will be no long-term result. It is necessary to regularly update information, publish news, articles, interact with the audience, etc.
- You need to publish information that is really interesting for the user. Which can compete in the feed with other posts.
- SMM cannot 100% replace the classic search promotion. Users prefer to search for goods and services through search engines first of all.
Social media marketing is suitable for most B2C products and services. That are relevant to everyday life and are of interest to the target audience. The situation is more complicated with the B2B sector. With the SMM promotion of goods and services that involve a quick transaction.
Pros and cons of SEO
SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is a set of works on internal and external optimization in order to improve the position of the site in the issuance of search engines (Google, Yandex, Mail.Ru, Bing, etc.). By improving the resource rating in the PS, you can attract more visitors and increase profits. SEO works with already formed demand. The main goal is to promote the site to the top 10 for relevant commercial or informational queries (words that the user enters in the search bar).
- In the process of SEO optimization, the entire resource is seriously improved, due to which the conversion increases over time – the site starts to sell better.
- Long-term effect – if you stop working after reaching the top, search engines will not notice it immediately.
- The level of user confidence in sites from organic issuance is higher than in advertisements.
- Good SEO ROI – with a fixed payment for promotion services, the cost per user will decrease over time.
- With the growth of the popularity of the resource, the number of natural backlinks increases, which also adds authority to the site.
Disadvantages of SEO
- The result of search engine optimization will not be noticeable immediately, on average, reaching the top will take about 3-6 months, depending on the subject and the state of the resource.
- SEO-optimization is aimed at improving all the key characteristics of the site, so for some types of work it will be necessary to attract additional specialists (for example, programmers, designers).
- The greatest return on the site is possible only with constant work on the project.
- Promotion in different search engines will require the development of a separate strategy for each of them.
SEO or SMM: what to choose for a successful marketing campaign
SEO and SMM are interrelated internet marketing tools. The activity of users in social networks can directly and indirectly affect positions in the search. The best solution is to use both methods of promotion. In the case of a limited budget for promotion and the need to choose one of the tools, consider the following factors:
- The speed of the result. SEO is a fairly inert promotion tool. If the site is quickly filled with content and there are no technical problems with the resource. It will take at least 3-6 months to get to the top. In SMM, the rate of return is much higher with proper work. You can achieve the desired result in a few weeks.
- Cost of work. In conditions of a limited budget, it is recommended to give preference to SMM promotion. To launch the project, much smaller financial investments will be required, in comparison with SEO. It will be enough to create and arrange a group on a social network. Fill it with content and start an advertising campaign. The main costs are for the preparation and placement of posts, the services of a targetologist.
- Versatility. Unlike SMM, SEO is an absolutely universal tool for promoting any goods and services. Not everything can be effectively promoted on social networks. Basically, only what is sold well in social networks is related to goods and services of mass consumption in the B2C sphere.